I have an idea and hopefully I have twenty some years to get it done. I'll need that much time! I want to make a cookbook for my children. Thus the name My Mama's Food. It has several meanings, for the entries in my journal it will mean me, my children's Mama. For me it means my dear Mom, their Mama Lu, for most of the recipes come from her and my grandma's and great grandmas. I do most of my cooking without a recipe, but sometimes they just need to be written down if we do not want them to be lost for future generations. When I left home I would have treasured a book like this, written by my Mom, so I want to try and do it for my children. I want to include photos of the kids helping me in the kitchen as they grow and eat what we make. What memories they will have when cooking in their own kitchen's and teaching their children to cook and sharing these memories with them and showing them pictures of themselves learning to cook with their Mama. I think it's a grand idea, now if I can pull it off!

Monday, August 27, 2012

Chicken Soup

I love chicken soup, I remember when I was pregnant with David I ate it for breakfast (it was the only thing that sounded good for a while)!

You need a good sized chicken, at least 5 pounds (if yours is smaller cut everything down), cooked, eat part of it for supper the night before. A slow roasted chicken is really good and packed with flavor, especially if you sear it before you cook it. You can cheat and get one from your local grocery store, too.

Once you've eaten it for supper (or not), you need to de-bone it. Take all the meat off the bones and refrigerate for the soup later.

In a dutch oven cover what is left of the bones, etc. with water, filling it almost to the brim. I take some skin out, but leave some. Fat gives good flavor you know.

Let this simmer until you go to bed and do it again in the morning; about 4-6 hours total. The bones give you the greatest flavor!

Strain the broth and then you will add the following to it:

Dice up the following into small pieces and add it to the broth:
5-6 carrots
1 white or yellow onion
2 C broccoli 
4-5 ribs of celery and leaves (awesome flavor booster)
3-4 cloves garlic
I grew up with chicken soup with just these ingredients, but I think it's better with the following as well:
1/2 red pepper
1/2 green pepper
4-8 mushrooms, depending on how large

For all versions add:
3 T thyme
4 T parsley
1 T salt and to taste

Let this simmer COVERED for about 2-3 hours and then add:

1/2 -3/4 C Jasmine rice, depending on how thick you like your soup. You may substitute your favorite rice.

Cook covered for about 1/2 hour and then add the chicken you saved from the night before. Heat through and serve.  We like ours with a light garlic bread. 

No comments: