I have an idea and hopefully I have twenty some years to get it done. I'll need that much time! I want to make a cookbook for my children. Thus the name My Mama's Food. It has several meanings, for the entries in my journal it will mean me, my children's Mama. For me it means my dear Mom, their Mama Lu, for most of the recipes come from her and my grandma's and great grandmas. I do most of my cooking without a recipe, but sometimes they just need to be written down if we do not want them to be lost for future generations. When I left home I would have treasured a book like this, written by my Mom, so I want to try and do it for my children. I want to include photos of the kids helping me in the kitchen as they grow and eat what we make. What memories they will have when cooking in their own kitchen's and teaching their children to cook and sharing these memories with them and showing them pictures of themselves learning to cook with their Mama. I think it's a grand idea, now if I can pull it off!

Friday, April 24, 2015

Chocolate Chunk Scones with Berry Variations


My favorite bakery, Truffles and Tortes in Anoka, MN has the best scones I've ever had and I've been trying to recreate their chocolate chip variety. After much trial and error I think mine are just as good! This makes 16 to 20 scones, depending on how big you make them. Directions for making fruit filled scones follow the recipe.

Ingredients:

Scones:
3 1/4 Cups all purpose flour
1/2 Cup sugar
4 t Baking Powder
1/2 heaping t salt
2 Cup chopped chocolate (I use 1 bar each of semi sweet and milk chocolate ~ the best you can afford. We like Aldi's, it's good and cheap.)
2 Cup Heavy Cream (Milk will NOT work ~ wine and baking don't mix ;-)
2 t Vanilla
2 T Butter melted

Topping:
4 T Butter, melted
4 T Heavy Cream
Crystallized Sugar for sprinkling (I use regular if that's all I have)


Directions:

Preheat oven to 350F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment or butter them generously.

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and chocolate chips until well combined. Create a well in the center and pour in heavy cream, butter and vanilla. Stir by hand until combined.

Using flour on the counter I press the dough into a rectangle and fold it in threes. Pictured below, if you are not using berries omit them from the steps below.

Brush with butter, then heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar.

Bake 20 to 30 minutes depending on the size or until slightly golden brown on the edges. If you can't bake both pans at the same time place the second pan in the refrigerator until ready to bake.  Let cool nearly to completion on a wire rack before enjoying!

They freeze very well after they are baked or before. For freezing before baking, freeze on a cookie sheet and then bag them when they are frozen. Let them thaw and brush with toppings before baking. I wouldn't freeze the berry varieties, they will get mushy and watery. The berry varieties freeze better after they are baked.

Directions for Berry Scones:
I used strawberries, but blueberries and raspberries are on my list to try real soon!


Slice the strawberries and pat them dry. (Do not slice blueberries or raspberries.)


Pat out your dough to about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. 


Place the fruit of your choice in the middle of your dough. 


Bring up the bottom portion to cover the berries and sprinkle of few more on top of this first fold.


Pat the folds together so they stick and cut into scones and place on lined baking sheet.


Continue with topping and baking instructions. 

No comments: