I have an idea and hopefully I have twenty some years to get it done. I'll need that much time! I want to make a cookbook for my children. Thus the name My Mama's Food. It has several meanings, for the entries in my journal it will mean me, my children's Mama. For me it means my dear Mom, their Mama Lu, for most of the recipes come from her and my grandma's and great grandmas. I do most of my cooking without a recipe, but sometimes they just need to be written down if we do not want them to be lost for future generations. When I left home I would have treasured a book like this, written by my Mom, so I want to try and do it for my children. I want to include photos of the kids helping me in the kitchen as they grow and eat what we make. What memories they will have when cooking in their own kitchen's and teaching their children to cook and sharing these memories with them and showing them pictures of themselves learning to cook with their Mama. I think it's a grand idea, now if I can pull it off!

Friday, September 14, 2012

Eggplant Parmesean

Oh, these were so good; David (3) even went back for seconds!

First you need to make your marinara sauce. I used homemade pizza sauce, oh so delicious.  I added 1/2 lb ground beef and seasoned it with salt, thyme, oregano and a little cumin while browning it. Add the pizza sauce to the beef and simmer for a short time.

I pealed the eggplants (2 medium) and sliced them about 1/4 inch thick.
Make an egg wash 2 eggs, 1 T water or milk.
Get about 1C flour in another bowl.


You want to fry your eggplants to get them crispy so they don't sog up in the oven when you bake them with your sauce.

Coat with egg wash and then flour, fry in olive oil until browned. Place on a shallow baking dish.


Cover the fried eggplants with your marinara sauce and top with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Bake on 400 for 20-30 minutes until browned.

David (3) loves cheese and snitching!


They were even better than anticipated! They will be just as good without the meat, but since we had butternut squash, beets, and this I needed to add some protein. Sausage would also be good.

No comments: