I have an idea and hopefully I have twenty some years to get it done. I'll need that much time! I want to make a cookbook for my children. Thus the name My Mama's Food. It has several meanings, for the entries in my journal it will mean me, my children's Mama. For me it means my dear Mom, their Mama Lu, for most of the recipes come from her and my grandma's and great grandmas. I do most of my cooking without a recipe, but sometimes they just need to be written down if we do not want them to be lost for future generations. When I left home I would have treasured a book like this, written by my Mom, so I want to try and do it for my children. I want to include photos of the kids helping me in the kitchen as they grow and eat what we make. What memories they will have when cooking in their own kitchen's and teaching their children to cook and sharing these memories with them and showing them pictures of themselves learning to cook with their Mama. I think it's a grand idea, now if I can pull it off!

Friday, July 27, 2012

Cilantro Tuna Hot-dish

I'm not a fan of paprika, which seasoned the tuna hot-dish I grew up on. I love tuna and gave it a fresh take with cilantro and jazzed it up. The shells are perfect for engulfing the thick sauce. Enjoy!
9-17-2012 I just made this with Classico Roasted Poblano Alfredo and half can of cream of chicken soup, all I had and it's so good!
Ingredients: 

1 lb Conchiglie noodles (medium shells)
1 26 oz can cream of mushroom soup
2 12 oz cans white tuna in water (DO NOT drain)
1 T cilantro
1T parsley
1/4 t ground red pepper
2 T butter
4 slices swiss cheese
Salt to taste

Directions:

1. Fill a medium kettle with water and 2T salt, bring to boil and add noodles. Cook until tender.
2. In another kettle add cream of mushroom, tuna and it's juices, cilantro, parsley, red pepper and butter. Cook until hot and bubbly.
3. Add sauce to noodles.
4. Salt to taste, you may also want to add more cilantro or red pepper to your liking.
5. Tear up the cheese and stir in. Serve immediately.


David (3), my hot-dish lover, approved! 

No comments: