I have an idea and hopefully I have twenty some years to get it done. I'll need that much time! I want to make a cookbook for my children. Thus the name My Mama's Food. It has several meanings, for the entries in my journal it will mean me, my children's Mama. For me it means my dear Mom, their Mama Lu, for most of the recipes come from her and my grandma's and great grandmas. I do most of my cooking without a recipe, but sometimes they just need to be written down if we do not want them to be lost for future generations. When I left home I would have treasured a book like this, written by my Mom, so I want to try and do it for my children. I want to include photos of the kids helping me in the kitchen as they grow and eat what we make. What memories they will have when cooking in their own kitchen's and teaching their children to cook and sharing these memories with them and showing them pictures of themselves learning to cook with their Mama. I think it's a grand idea, now if I can pull it off!

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Chicken & Artichoke Casserole

We like artichokes at our house and need more ways to use them besides spinach artichoke dip, and we found this very good!

2 Medium carrots chopped in medium to small pieces
1 Sweet red pepper, chopped in medium to small pieces
1/2 of an onion
2 T butter
2 10oz cans cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup (I sometimes make my own)
2 10oz cans small artichokes cut up
3 C cooked cubed chicken
2 C Hot cooked rice (I used jasmine, wild rice would be good)
1 C Shredded mozzarella cheese
1 1/3 C Milk
1 t dried thyme (fresh if you've got it is always better!)
4 Slices bacon, cooked crisp and drained
6 T grated Parmesan cheese

In a large skillet cook carrots, pepper and onion in hot butter on medium high stirring frequently until crisp-tender.
Stir in chicken soup, artichoke hearts, chicken, rice mozzarella, milk, thyme and bacon.
Transfer to a 9x13 pan and sprinkle with parmesan.

Bake at 350 degrees covered for 20-30 minutes and bake 20-30 more uncovered. Let stand 10-15 minutes before serving to help it set up.

No comments: